FAQ for Requests

  1. What kind of records are exempt from disclosure?
    1. The City is not required to permit public inspection and copying of records for which public disclosure of the record is prohibited, restricted or limited by state law or federal statute or regulation. The City is prohibited by statute from disclosing lists of individuals for commercial purposes. RCW 42.56.070{9)
    2. The Public Records Act provides that a number of types of documents are exempt from public inspection and copying. RCW 42.56.230 through 42.56.470 contains a large number of exemptions from public inspection and copying.
    3. Other statutes outside the Public Records Act may prohibit and exempt disclosure of certain documents or information RCW 42.56.070{1}. The City's failure to list an exemption shall not affect the effectiveness of the exemption.
  2. Who can submit a Public Records Request?
    1. Anyone can submit a Public Records Request.
  3. How do I request a public document?   
    1. While there is no specific required format for a public records request, a requester must provide the City with reasonable notice that the request being made is for public records.
      • The preferred method is to click on "MAKE REQUEST" on the top of this web portal and follow the prompts. (All requests, regardless of form received, will be entered and tracked through this portal.)
      • Record request forms are available at the City Clerk's Office and the College Place Police Department.
      • Requests may be submitted in person, orally, by mail, fax, or e-mail. (Mail, e-mail, and faxes will be considered received on the date the form is stamped "received", not on the date sent.
  4. What if I no longer need the requested document?
    1. If you no longer need the requested document, just notify the City referencing the assigned record request number, and we will close the request.
  5. Do I have to give a reason for my request?
    1. For some requests, you may be asked to provide the reason for your request.
      • Sometimes when the request is vague or broad, knowing the reason for the request can assist staff in narrowing down the scope to specifically the record you need.
      • The City cannot provide lists of individuals for commercial purposes. You may need to complete a "Commercial Purpose Declaration" in order to receive a list of individuals.
  6. When will I receive a response to my Public Records Request?
    1. The City must respond within five business days of receiving a public record request by:
      • Providing the record.
      • Acknowledge that the request has been received and provide a reasonable time estimate needed to respond to the request.
      • Deny the request.
      • Request clarification for vague or overly broad requests.
  7. How do I access my request once I’ve submitted it?
  8. What fees are involved in making a Public Records Request?
    1. You will be charged for the documents/files received according to the current Administrative Fee Schedule.
  9. Who should I contact if I have questions for a specific department?
    1. For Police records, either choose that department when submitting your request, or contact Records Supervisor Marianne Barr at mbarr@cpwa.us
    2. For General (Non-Police) records choose the department when submitting your request through this portal, or contact the City Clerk at lneissl@cpwa.us
    3. Note: The City of College Place does not have Municipal Court Records. The City contracts those services with Walla Walla District Court. Their information can be found here.